Monday, December 8, 2008

Eggnog Cupcakes


Last year I was looking for a festive Christmas cupcake to take to a couple of family holiday gatherings. I wanted something that signaled holiday. Spice. Aroma. Not Chocolate. I considered gingerbread, but gingerbread is never as popular when it's not a cookie.

And then I stumbled upon a few Eggnog Cupcake recipes on a few of my absolute favorite cupcake blogs. And I knew I had my holiday recipe. Easy to make. Involves alcohol. I knew I had a holiday hit on my hands.

I ended up using the cupcake recipe from Chockylit, but left out the pastry cream filling and used my own made up recipe for a eggnog rum glaze instead of her Bourbon Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting. Very east to make and gave me the festive results I was looking for.

I thought they were great. Something different and tasty and festive. However. Yes, I said however. They were not well received at either family holiday party at which they made an appearance. I had lots of leftovers. At one party they were given a polite taste by a few before people moved on to some boxed brownies that someone had brought. Everyone else passed them up entirely. At the other family gathering they went completely untouched in favor of store bought cheesecake. Store bought! And I even pointed out that there was rum in both the cake and the glaze!

So this year I'm just picking up whatever is on sale at the grocery store on my way to the party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I love your blog and so happy to find you. Thanks for stopping by the Schell Cafe too!