Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Sienna Dress


A couple of weeks ago I made Abby a Valentine dress using the Sienna pattern purchased from Lil Blue Boo. I've never really made clothing before and was very worried about sewing knits because I've heard that they can be a hassle. But all that worry was mostly for nothing because this went together pretty quickly and easily. I used her tip of spray starching the fabric before sewing and I really think that helped.

I used two old tshirts that I had in my closet. Sadly, I cut the arms out wrong at first (not quite sure what happened there) and didn't have enough fabric to do them again so I had to cut them down to fix it. That's why the arms are short. And I spent a lot of time trying to work around a lot of the wording on the shirts (they were those free ones you get when you do charity walks and had a lot of lame advertising on them). But then when I was pinning it together to sew it up I realized that i could just turn the pieces inside out so the writing was on the inside of the shirt, leaving me a blank canvas to embellish as I pleased. Umm, yeah, I feel totally lame that it took me so long to realize that, but I'm really glad that I did. Much better finished product.

I was going for a bit of a skater punk valentine look. So I appliqued the broken heart on the front. Then I freezer paper stenciled the hearts on the pink strip. I'm really happy with the way the dress came out. And more importantly, Abby likes it too. (I have since made a second dress using the same pattern that she so far refuses to wear).

Was going to wait to do this post until I had some better pictures, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon and I want this up before Valentine's Day (not that she won't be wearing it all year 'round). So here it is! I did it and I am proud!

No comments: