Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cupcakes? Sounds like a good idea to me!


My friend, Amber, turns 30 tomorrow. This milestone needs to be celebrated. So some of her best girlfriends are getting together for a few of her favorite things. And one of my contributions is cupcakes. Yummy, yummy cupcakes.

Now, there will only be 4 people at this little gathering, so I didn't want a lot of cupcakes. So I used Amy Sedaris's vanilla cupcake recipe and only made a half batch. This gave me 12 beautiful cupcakes. I haven't tasted this batch yet, but I've used the recipe before and I find them very very tasty. They have a good vanilla flavor, almost like a sugar cookie. They definitely have a coarser texture than a box mix, but that doesn't bother me at all. The flavor makes up for it in leaps and bounds.

The frosting recipe I used is straight off the can of Hershey's cocoa. I made a half batch and the only change I made was to add 1/2 tsp instant coffee crystals when I added the cocoa to the butter. It think it adds a richness to a basic chocolate frosting. Here's the recipe from the Hershey's website:

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hi Emily! I was searching your blog for a photo of the awesome Flip Flop cake and can't find one... Might you have one? Are you up for making one with me for Mia's birthday party?! xoxoxo

emerzim said...

Of course I'm making one with you! I haven't blogged the cake yet, but I will soon. In the meantime you can find a picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emerzim/1108876700/