Saturday, January 31, 2009

Granola Goodness

I have been making homemade granola for about a year now and my daughter and I are really loving it. My husband never seems to touch it, but that's ok. I like it mixed with yogurt and strawberries. Abby eats it straight up with a spoon. Which is very messy. But that's ok, too.

I started out with a half batch of the Vanilla Scented Granola on Epicurious. Now I use whatever I have on hand and it usually goes something like this:

Emily's Vanilla Granola Goodness:

1 1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/8 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
1/4 cup wheat germ or oat bran
1/2 cup puffed wheat cereal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/6 cup canola oil
1/8 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla

Mix first set of ingredients (oats through cinnamon) together in a large mixing bowl. Combine oil and honey in microwave proof bowl (I use my 2 cup glass measuring cup) and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, until hot and easy to stir together. Mix in vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir well. Spread granola on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.

As I said, this is a half batch and I bake it in my toaster oven, using a pan that is about 9X9 or so. If you want to use a regular cookie sheet in a regular oven then just double it.

After granola has cooled you can add any dried fruit your little heart desires. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

No comments: